blackwomentalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blackwomentalk

black women community talk

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Grow Eyebrow.
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am by MsLaura

» Ladies Jeans Brands.
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 am by MsLaura

» Best Fashion Magazines.
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:41 am by MsLaura

» Top Fashion Models.
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 am by MsLaura

» Fashion Websites Here Please!
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 am by MsLaura

» Skinny Jeans
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am by MsLaura

» Fashion Tips
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am by MsLaura

» The classifications
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 9:14 am by TrudiBerry

» Check Hairpedia for hairstyles!
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am by Admin

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 113 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Poll
i want long hair because...
i feel beautiful ..
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_lcap43%Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 10 ]
I just like it
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_lcap30%Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 7 ]
i hate short hair
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_lcap9%Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
i wanna prove me right!
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_lcap17%Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
none
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_lcap0%Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23
Beauty Tips from Africa
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 pm by Flowers & Pearls
The continent of Africa is full of unique herbs that have properties useful for health and beauty remedies. Many beauty remedies based on indigenous African herbs have been passed down for hundreds …

Comments: 0
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae (mostly common in men)
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae

It is a chronic condition which involves scalp and the back of the neck. Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae generally occurs in African American men. People in the age …

Make Your Own Hair Perfume
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Want to turn a few more heads? Well, you could do that just with a whiff of air. It is the wonderful locks which fall over your shoulder that need some care. It barely takes a few minutes to prepare …

UV hair protection. 101
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 2:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Summer is coming guys so here's the perfect time to protect it from the sun rays (though you must do this always summer is the season when most needed).

UV And Hair

Hair offers a natural …

what's your ulttimate hair goal?!
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm by Admin
hi girls flower what's your ULTIMIMATE HAIR GOAL???

Comments: 1
Dandruff- What it is?,causes,cures
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff or Pityriasis capitis refers to the extreme flaking of the dead skin which forms on the scalp. Although small amount of flaking is normal but when people start experiencing a large amount of …

Learning about Scalp Folliculitis
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff and acne are common culprits when it comes to scalp issues. While most of us usually only have to deal with a few flakes or an itch and a scratch, there is another condition that often goes …

Hair Screening: What Toxins is your Body Storing in your Tresses?
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Hair screening is definitely not new, but it is becoming increasingly popular as we combat the effects of aging and the environment. At-home testing kits are available and are widely accepted as a …

Maintaining Healthy Scalp and Hair
Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:21 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Your hair is your crowning glory. You spend time and money making sure that you have a flattering style and color. But healthy hair can be more than a reflection of your sense of style and fashion. …

October 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flowers & Pearls

Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! Empty
PostSubject: Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture!   Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture! EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 10:09 am

Part of learning how to take better care of your hair is understanding what type of hair you have. Nowadays, we try and refrain from using terms like "good hair" and "bad hair". They just tend to downplay the natural beauty and versatility of coarse hair.

Instead, we look for creative ways to describe different hair types and textures. One of the most popular methods of classification was created by Andre Walker, a stylist and author of Andre Talks Hair. His system was summarized well on a site called Diaspora Hair Care forum. Click here for the website.

Type 4

According to Andre Walker, if your hair falls into the Type 4 category, then it is kinky, or very tightly curled. Generally, Type 4 hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very fragile. Similar to Type 3 hair, Type 4 hair appears to be coarse, but it is actually quite fine, with lots and lots of these strands densely packed together. Type 4 hair that is healthy won't shine, but it will have sheen. It will be soft to the touch and will pass the strand test with ease. It will feel silkier than it will look shiny.

Type 4 hairs looks tough and durable, but looks can be deceiving. If you have Type 4 hair, you already know that it is the most fragile hair around. There are two subtypes of Type 4 hair: Type 4A, tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an S pattern, much like curly hair; and Type 4B, which has a Z pattern, less of a defined curl pattern (instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter Z). Type 4A tends to have more moisture than Type 4B, which will have a wiry texture.

Type 3
When this type of hair is wet, it appears to be pretty straight. As it dries, the hair goes back to its curly state. When curly hair is wet it usually straightens out. As it dries, it absorbs the water and contracts to its curliest state. Humidity tends to make this type of curly hair even curlier, or even frizzier. Type 3 hair has a lot of body and is easily styled in its natural state, or it can be easily straightened with a blow-dryer into a smoother style. Healthy Type 3 hair is shiny, with soft, smooth curls and strong elasticity. The curls are well-defined and springy.

Andre defines two subtypes of curly hair. First, there is type 3A hair which is very loosely curled and usually very shiny with big curls. The shorter the hair is, the straighter it gets. The longer the hair is the more defined the curl. Then, there is type 3B hair which has a medium amount of curl to tight corkscrews. It's not unusual to see a mixture of these types existing on the same head. Curly hair usually consists of a combination of textures, with the crown being the curliest part. Lastly there is a type 3C, is hair type that is not in Andre Walker's book, but many people suggest that it should be. This type of hair can be described as tight curls in corkscrews. The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together.

Type 2
A relatively unusual type, wavy hair tends to be coarse, with a definite S pattern to it. There are three Type 2 subtypes: A- Fine /thin, B -medium-textured, and C - thick and coarse. Type 2A is very easy to handle, blowing out into a straighter style or taking on curlier looks with relative ease. Types 2B and 2C are a little more resistant to styling and have a tendency to frizz.

Type 1
Type 1 is naturally straight hair.

For more information on Hair Typing, check out these additional resources:

Curls Hair Textures Chart

LOIS Hair Typing Method - An alternative to Andre's Method.

Fia's Hair Typing System - An alternative to both methods.

Andre Walker classification system
Back to top Go down

Understanding Your Hair Type and Texture!
Page 1 of 1