blackwomentalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blackwomentalk

black women community talk

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Grow Eyebrow.
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am by MsLaura

» Ladies Jeans Brands.
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 am by MsLaura

» Best Fashion Magazines.
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:41 am by MsLaura

» Top Fashion Models.
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 am by MsLaura

» Fashion Websites Here Please!
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 am by MsLaura

» Skinny Jeans
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am by MsLaura

» Fashion Tips
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am by MsLaura

» The classifications
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 9:14 am by TrudiBerry

» Check Hairpedia for hairstyles!
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am by Admin

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 113 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Poll
i want long hair because...
i feel beautiful ..
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_lcap43%Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 10 ]
I just like it
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_lcap30%Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 7 ]
i hate short hair
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_lcap9%Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
i wanna prove me right!
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_lcap17%Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
none
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_lcap0%Protecting Your Hair from the Sun I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23
Beauty Tips from Africa
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 pm by Flowers & Pearls
The continent of Africa is full of unique herbs that have properties useful for health and beauty remedies. Many beauty remedies based on indigenous African herbs have been passed down for hundreds …

Comments: 0
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae (mostly common in men)
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae

It is a chronic condition which involves scalp and the back of the neck. Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae generally occurs in African American men. People in the age …

Make Your Own Hair Perfume
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Want to turn a few more heads? Well, you could do that just with a whiff of air. It is the wonderful locks which fall over your shoulder that need some care. It barely takes a few minutes to prepare …

UV hair protection. 101
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 2:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Summer is coming guys so here's the perfect time to protect it from the sun rays (though you must do this always summer is the season when most needed).

UV And Hair

Hair offers a natural …

what's your ulttimate hair goal?!
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm by Admin
hi girls flower what's your ULTIMIMATE HAIR GOAL???

Comments: 1
Dandruff- What it is?,causes,cures
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff or Pityriasis capitis refers to the extreme flaking of the dead skin which forms on the scalp. Although small amount of flaking is normal but when people start experiencing a large amount of …

Learning about Scalp Folliculitis
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff and acne are common culprits when it comes to scalp issues. While most of us usually only have to deal with a few flakes or an itch and a scratch, there is another condition that often goes …

Hair Screening: What Toxins is your Body Storing in your Tresses?
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Hair screening is definitely not new, but it is becoming increasingly popular as we combat the effects of aging and the environment. At-home testing kits are available and are widely accepted as a …

Maintaining Healthy Scalp and Hair
Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:21 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Your hair is your crowning glory. You spend time and money making sure that you have a flattering style and color. But healthy hair can be more than a reflection of your sense of style and fashion. …

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Protecting Your Hair from the Sun

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flowers & Pearls

Protecting Your Hair from the Sun Empty
PostSubject: Protecting Your Hair from the Sun   Protecting Your Hair from the Sun EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Summer is vastly approach and with summer comes the harsh rays of the sun. While most of us remember to protect our skin with sunscreen, often we forget to pay attention to our hair. The sun can damage hair’s cuticles, leaving your hair dry, brittle and frizzy. It can also make hair’s color fade and if you have fine or chemical-treated hair, the sun’s harsh rays can be extremely worse.

To prevent the summer sun from damaging your hair, check out these great tips:

In the Sun

Look for an SPF spray made for hair. If you can’t find an SPF or you’re in a pinch, you can use a sunscreen made for you skin. Apply ½ cup water with ½ teaspoon 25 SPF sunscreen. Mist on damp hair before styling. You can also apply undiluted sunscreen to the center part of your hair. If the sunscreen is too messy, try a lip blam with the highest SPF you can find. Be sure to wash the sunscreen from your hair using a deep-cleansing shampoo after you get home.

Look for styling products that have SPF built into them. Manufacturers are now providing consumers with SPF protection via hairsprays, styling gels, mousses, etc.

If you do choose to use a styling product with SPF protection, keep in mind that most contain alcohol, which can dry your hair out faster than the sun.

If you can’t find SPF for your hair, you can try using coconut, jojoba, sunflower or olive oil in your hair. To use, simply apply the oil to your hair before going out in the sun. The heat from the sun will help to penetrate the oil into your hair shaft. You should note however, while the oil will condition your hair and repair it before it becomes dry and brittle, it won’t protect from all sun damage.

Wear a hat or bandana if you’re going to be out in the sun. Choose a hat that has a wide brim all the way around. This will not only protect your scalp, it will also protect your skin. For bandana, wrap them starting at your hairline and leave the pointed end covering the rest of your hair. Look for fabric that is made from a very tight weave and is less likely to allow light to pass through it.

Put your hair into a french twist or bun when the summer heat is at it’s hottest. Putting your hair up will protect your scalp and the hair that is closest to your scalp from the sun.

Out of the Sun

Treat your hair to a deep conditioner at least once a week to help tame hair frizzies and put back the moisturizer that the hot sun can take away. Look for products that say, “replenish” or alcohol –free since these are designed to add moisture to the hair.

Wrap your hair in a plastic cap overnight to restore moisture lost from the sun and prevent frizzies.

If you color or bleach your hair and you’re a blonde or a brunette, have your colorist go half a shade darker to prevent the sun from fading the color. If you’re a redhead, try a color-locking treatment to prevent fading.

Finally, if you really want to prevent sun damage to hair, avoid the sunlight during the peak sun hours. This is when the sun is at it’s hottest. If it’s impossible to do so, wear a hat or SPF and try to stay in the shade where it is possible.
Back to top Go down

Protecting Your Hair from the Sun
Page 1 of 1