blackwomentalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blackwomentalk

black women community talk

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Grow Eyebrow.
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am by MsLaura

» Ladies Jeans Brands.
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 am by MsLaura

» Best Fashion Magazines.
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:41 am by MsLaura

» Top Fashion Models.
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 am by MsLaura

» Fashion Websites Here Please!
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 am by MsLaura

» Skinny Jeans
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am by MsLaura

» Fashion Tips
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am by MsLaura

» The classifications
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 9:14 am by TrudiBerry

» Check Hairpedia for hairstyles!
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am by Admin

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 113 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Poll
i want long hair because...
i feel beautiful ..
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_lcap43%Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 10 ]
I just like it
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_lcap30%Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 7 ]
i hate short hair
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_lcap9%Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
i wanna prove me right!
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_lcap17%Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
none
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_lcap0%Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23
Beauty Tips from Africa
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 pm by Flowers & Pearls
The continent of Africa is full of unique herbs that have properties useful for health and beauty remedies. Many beauty remedies based on indigenous African herbs have been passed down for hundreds …

Comments: 0
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae (mostly common in men)
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae

It is a chronic condition which involves scalp and the back of the neck. Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae generally occurs in African American men. People in the age …

Make Your Own Hair Perfume
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Want to turn a few more heads? Well, you could do that just with a whiff of air. It is the wonderful locks which fall over your shoulder that need some care. It barely takes a few minutes to prepare …

UV hair protection. 101
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 2:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Summer is coming guys so here's the perfect time to protect it from the sun rays (though you must do this always summer is the season when most needed).

UV And Hair

Hair offers a natural …

what's your ulttimate hair goal?!
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm by Admin
hi girls flower what's your ULTIMIMATE HAIR GOAL???

Comments: 1
Dandruff- What it is?,causes,cures
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff or Pityriasis capitis refers to the extreme flaking of the dead skin which forms on the scalp. Although small amount of flaking is normal but when people start experiencing a large amount of …

Learning about Scalp Folliculitis
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff and acne are common culprits when it comes to scalp issues. While most of us usually only have to deal with a few flakes or an itch and a scratch, there is another condition that often goes …

Hair Screening: What Toxins is your Body Storing in your Tresses?
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Hair screening is definitely not new, but it is becoming increasingly popular as we combat the effects of aging and the environment. At-home testing kits are available and are widely accepted as a …

Maintaining Healthy Scalp and Hair
Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:21 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Your hair is your crowning glory. You spend time and money making sure that you have a flattering style and color. But healthy hair can be more than a reflection of your sense of style and fashion. …

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flowers & Pearls

Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons Empty
PostSubject: Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons   Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 5:12 pm

If you transition by growing your hair out, you will basically wear protective styles until you natural, unprocessed hair reaches the length that you want and all your relaxed hair is trimmed away.

You will have some time to prepare for your natural hair

During your transition period you can collect pictures of styles that you would like to try once your hair is natural. It is a good idea to get pictures of styles of various lengths.

You will learn about your hair type(s)

Different styles look a little different depending on what your hair type is. As your hair grows out you can look and see how the new natural hair is behaving. You can get an idea of what it does when it is wet. You will find out whether your hair is wavy, curly, coily or kinky. Once you figure that out you can look for styles that will work with and complement your hair type.

You can experiment with natural looks

Who says transitioning has to be boring? If you are thinking about growing locks, why not try nu locs/yarn lock. You’ll get an idea of how you might look with locks.

Kinky twists are truly a natural look. They will give you an idea of how your own double strand/two stranded twist will look. (NOTE: Be sure to read the section on types of extension hair. You do not want to get the type that will tangle in your hair.)

If you really want to be adventurous (depending on where you work) get the true feel of an afro with an afro weave. You could do a full weave or just the back with cornrows in the front.

But if you want to play it safe- and there is nothing wrong with that – you can stick with braids and cornrows with or without extensions.

There is not initial shock – for you or your friends and family.

Unless you have been growing out your perm for a while your hair will be very short even after a month or two of transitioning. If you have worn your hair medium length to long, the change could be shocking.

Wearing short hair of any style takes a certain type of self-confidence. If you are still uncertain of your decision or are not really comfortable with short hair period, don’t do the big chop. Ditto if you don’t have friends or family members who support your decision to go natural. No need to bring on needless criticisms unless you really don’t care what they think.

Growing It Out: The Cons

Those are the pros of growing out your hair. Here are some of the cons:

* It will take patience and time
* You will have to deal with two distinctly different types of hair
* You may have to depend on someone else to help you style your hair until it is completely grown out.
* You may end up paying more than you are used to paying to have your hair done.
* Your hair will shed and may break off. That may be traumatizing for you.

It will take patience and time

If you want you hair to be say – six inches long – it will take anywhere from six months to a year, depending on how fast your hair grows. You should ask yourself if you are willing to wait that long.

You will have to deal with two distinctly different types of hair

If you are not a fan of messing with you hair this can be frustrating. If you already like playing in your hair and don’t mind adapting then this is a non-issue.

You may have to depend on someone else to help you style your hair until it is completely grown out.

If you plan to wear protective styles and don’t already know how to braid, cornrow, flat twist or do wet sets, you’ll need help. This means that you will have to work around someone else’s schedule.

You may end up paying more than you are used to paying to have your hair done.

This Piggy backs on the last point. Unless you know someone that will do your hair for you, getting extension can be pricy. Expect to redo cornrows at least every 2 – 3 weeks and braids every two months.

Yes people keep them in for months longer. They usually have to fight with their hair to get them out. Plan regular re-braiding into your budget. In the end you will save time and your hair.

Your hair will shed and may break off.

No matter how hard you try you will get breakage. It just comes with the territory. I’ve read of many people who have experienced this, thought their hair was falling out, and went back to relaxing “to save their hair.”

If you know you can’t stand seeing hair in the comb ever time you comb, consider getting it over with and cutting it off all at once.
Back to top Go down

Growing It Out: The Pros and Cons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
blackwomentalk :: All About Your Hair :: Natural Hair :: Natural Hair Care-
Jump to: