17%
 17% [ 4 ]
none
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23
Beauty Tips from Africa
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 pm by Flowers & Pearls
The continent of Africa is full of unique herbs that have properties useful for health and beauty remedies. Many beauty remedies based on indigenous African herbs have been passed down for hundreds …

Comments: 0
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae (mostly common in men)
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae

It is a chronic condition which involves scalp and the back of the neck. Folliculitis Keloidalis Nuchae generally occurs in African American men. People in the age …

Make Your Own Hair Perfume
Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Want to turn a few more heads? Well, you could do that just with a whiff of air. It is the wonderful locks which fall over your shoulder that need some care. It barely takes a few minutes to prepare …

UV hair protection. 101
Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Summer is coming guys so here's the perfect time to protect it from the sun rays (though you must do this always summer is the season when most needed).

UV And Hair

Hair offers a natural …

what's your ulttimate hair goal?!
Tue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm by Admin
hi girls flower what's your ULTIMIMATE HAIR GOAL???

Comments: 1
Dandruff- What it is?,causes,cures
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff or Pityriasis capitis refers to the extreme flaking of the dead skin which forms on the scalp. Although small amount of flaking is normal but when people start experiencing a large amount of …

Learning about Scalp Folliculitis
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Dandruff and acne are common culprits when it comes to scalp issues. While most of us usually only have to deal with a few flakes or an itch and a scratch, there is another condition that often goes …

Hair Screening: What Toxins is your Body Storing in your Tresses?
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Hair screening is definitely not new, but it is becoming increasingly popular as we combat the effects of aging and the environment. At-home testing kits are available and are widely accepted as a …

Maintaining Healthy Scalp and Hair
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:21 pm by Flowers & Pearls
Your hair is your crowning glory. You spend time and money making sure that you have a flattering style and color. But healthy hair can be more than a reflection of your sense of style and fashion. …

November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of blackwomentalk on your social bookmarking website

Share | 

101 Cowashing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flowers & Pearls

PostSubject: 101 Cowashing   Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 pm

WASHING YOUR HAIR WITH CONDITIONER?

Also known as CO, (conditioner only)

Am I crazy? No, not about this anyway. There are lots of longhaired ladies using conditioner only to clean their hair and keep it in good condition.

Why? One reason is that shampoos are very harsh on hair. Anyone trying to grow their hair long needs all they help they can get. According to one consumer guide, Sodium lauryl sulfate a high volume synthetic chemical used in consumer products and regulated as a pesticide. A suspected gastrointestinal or liver toxicant, sodium lauryl sulfate can be drying and harsh for the hair and cause eye irritation, allergic reactions, and hair loss.
We all know people with long hair who use shampoo everyday, so is this a good enough reason? Whether or not some healthy hair can withstand such strong chemicals, the truth is clear- sodium lauryl sulfate is hard on hair.

Reason #2: Coarse, frizzy and curly hair may benefit the most from CO washing. Shampoo roughs up the cuticle even more than it already is on these types of hair. CO doesnít rough it up at all, leaving it smooth, soft and with well behaved curls. But how does it clean the hair? Conditioners do contain a very small amount of the same detergent. Not enough to dry your hair out, but enough to clean it gently.

Letís move onto HOW. Not all conditioners are suited for CO. You need cheap, 99-cent conditioners. The cult favorite is White Rain Classic Extra Body conditioner. I found mine at the dollar store. Another favorite is Suave flavor, like coconut, and aloe vera. Iíve always used VO5 because they smelled the yummiest-blueberry, apple, jasmine and my favorite-extra body. Pick one and lets get to the details.

First of all, you donít use this conditioner like a conditioner. We are going to use it like a shampoo, with a twist. Wet your hair, and start shampooing with the conditioner. Use gobs of it. Donít worry about using too much. You almost cant. Use about a quarter size in the front, the top and on each side and the back. Concentrate on rubbing it into your scalp. Do not rub it into the lengths of your hair. You can apply it to the long hair like normal conditioner, but donít rub. You scalp should be slick and entirely covered with conditioner. Put your hair up into a shower cap or something to keep it out of the way. Your hair has to sit for a few minutes with the conditioner on it to do its work. Go on about your shower business and rinse your hair last. RINSE VERY WELL! Rinse longer than you think you should. If you feel its necessary, add your regular conditioner to your ends and rinse again.
Thatís it!

So whatís different? Your hair will feel really soft, even when itís wet. You may worry that your hair will be limp. If you didnít rinse well enough, it may be. But if you have thick or coarse hair, you might be really happy about this. Try not using the second conditioner if itís too limp on the ends. If itís too limp on top, you didnít rinse good enough.

Eventually your hair will be just as clean as with shampoo but will be so much healthier and softer!

Too good to be true? Letís do some troubleshooting. First of all, there is an adjustment period your hair goes through before your scalp becomes accustomed to this. It may take up to 6 weeks. My hair only took about 2 weeks. Hang in there! I used one of those bottles with a pointed tip on it to apply the conditioner to my scalp. You can get them at beauty supply stores or even use a picnic condiment bottle for this. (um, make sure its clean first)

Reasons why CO didnít work for you:
The conditioner you used isnít light enough for CO, it was too moisturizing. Look for really cheap conditioners that say ďvolumizingĒ or ďclarifyingĒ.

You didnít leave it on long enough. The longer you leave it the better. Try for 5-10 minutes. Do CO as soon as you get in the shower and make rinsing out your last step.

You didnít rinse well enough. Rinse longer until it feels like there is no slickness left in your hair. Try rinsing with cooler water. Mix half apple cider vinegar with half water and use that as your final rinse.

You didnít use enough conditioner. Use A LOT. Thatís one plus of using the cheapy conditioners, you can stock up! Girls with really long hair will probably end up using tons. Like maybe only 3-4 applications from a bottle.

For the record, I do not currently use CO washing every time. I went back to shampoo. I really love the idea of this and it does work. I have really fine and thin hair and it even worked for me. But it is a little time consuming, so I only do it about once a week. Hey, the less shampoo you use, the better!

If you donít want to CO, or if you cant get it to work, there is another way to combat the shampoo demon. Wet your hair, apply any conditioner all over from root to tips (it can even me a cheap one.) Immediately rinse the conditioner lightly, shampoo out the conditioner and then apply your normal conditioner if needed. This is called CWC (condition wash condition) and it protects your hair shaft from the detergents in shampoo. You may find you prefer this to the traditional method of Shampoo-condition. I find if I deep condition first and then shampoo out, I donít even need the second conditioner, and Iíve protected my hair.
Back to top Go down

101 Cowashing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
blackwomentalk :: All About Your Hair :: ALL Hair Care-101's-Library-
Jump to: